Homemade sugar cookies are a classic treat that are perfect for any occasion. Here is a simple recipe for making delicious sugar cookies from scratch:
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Additional granulated sugar for rolling
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in the egg, followed by the vanilla extract and salt.
Gradually stir in the flour mixture until a soft dough forms.
Roll the dough into small balls, about 1 ½ inches in diameter.
Roll the balls in granulated sugar to coat them evenly.
Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
- For extra flavor, you can add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the flour mixture.
- To make chocolate sugar cookies, substitute ¼ cup of the flour with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- For softer, chewier cookies, reduce the baking time by 1-2 minutes.
- You can also add frosting or decorations to the cookies after they have cooled to add some extra sweetness and decoration.
With this simple recipe, you can enjoy delicious homemade sugar cookies that are perfect for sharing with friends and family. Enjoy!