Making homemade bread is a fun and rewarding activity. Here's a simple recipe for making a classic white bread loaf:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the warm water and vegetable oil to the bowl, and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Grease a large mixing bowl with oil, and place the dough in it. Cover the bowl with a clean towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Punch down the dough to release the air, and shape it into a loaf. Place the loaf in a greased loaf pan.
- Cover the loaf pan with a clean towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise again in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until it has risen to the top of the pan.
- Bake the loaf in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until it is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
And there you have it! A delicious and homemade loaf of bread. You can also experiment with different types of flour, adding in herbs or spices, or adding in seeds or nuts to the dough for added flavor and texture.