Many over-the-counter cough medicines contain dextromethorphan as the active ingredient. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant that helps relieve coughing by affecting the signals in the brain that trigger the cough reflex. It's essential to carefully read the labels of cough medications to ensure they contain dextromethorphan. Some common brand names and formulations that may include dextromethorphan include:
- Robitussin DM and Robitussin CoughGels are examples of products that may contain dextromethorphan.
- Vicks DayQuil Cough and Vicks NyQuil Cough are examples of cough medicines that may include dextromethorphan.
- Delsym is a brand that specifically offers extended-release formulations of dextromethorphan.
- Some Mucinex products, such as Mucinex DM, may contain dextromethorphan.
- Theraflu products, like Theraflu Cough Relief, may contain dextromethorphan.
It's important to note that the specific formulations and active ingredients can vary among products and brands. Additionally, combination medications may include other ingredients, such as expectorants or antihistamines. Always read the label carefully, follow the recommended dosage instructions, and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any questions or concerns. If you have underlying health conditions or are taking other medications, it's especially important to check with a healthcare provider before using over-the-counter cough medicines.